Finding the right IT Service Management (ITSM) platform for your organization doesn’t have to be hard. While there are several vendors in the space, you can use these tips to help you filter through all the tools out there and find the right vendor that fits your organization’s needs.
6 ITSM Software Non-Negotiables
When evaluating ITSM software, here’s a list of features and functionalities that you should consider standard. If a vendor doesn’t have these, they won’t be a good fit:
- End-user Self-Service – Make sure your ITSM tool has an intuitive, searchable and configurable self-service portal with WCAG 2.0 AA compliance.
- Knowledge Management – You’ll want your ITSM tool to have a knowledge base that’s integrated with ticketing so you can share information with both your IT techs and end-users.
- Multi-site and Multi-Department Capabilities– The ability to have one platform that can be used across multiple locations and departments is critical to achieving Enterprise Service Management (ESM); the solution should allow for the codeless creation of new applications without the need for additional IT support.
- Service Catalog – For the best user experience, make sure users can request products and services through a catalog that integrates with ticketing.
- ITSM/ESM, PPM + Integration and Automation on One Platform – When you have an ITSM/ESM platform that includes PPM (Project Portfolio Management) you get one view of all work happening – from ticketing to change and projects – throughout your entire organization. And when that platform also includes integration and automation capabilities you can create workflows and automations for projects and ticket requests, all from a single platform.
- Codeless Integration and Workflow – With a no-code platform you can supercharge your organization. Take advantage of codeless configuration, workflow building and automation with integration to other enterprise systems using a library of connectors. Supercharge your ITSM and automate your common and repeatable processes to save time and resources.
By measuring your ITSM options against this list, you can find a tool that can be customized to fit your needs and scale for the future.
Questions to Ask
To properly identify a flexible, easy-to-use tool we recommend asking these questions:
- Are you able to create custom ticket types and workflows?
- Can you set up incidents and problems separately?
- Can you tailor the self-service portal to your brand and the specific data you want?
- Can users create a custom desktop?
- How easy is it to create reports and dashboards?
- Can you easily spin up new applications without IT resources?
- Are you able to import and export data?
- Does it offer ITSM with Project Portfolio Management and enterprise integration and automation on one platform? Can it support Enterprise Service Management?
The best out-of-the-box ITSM tool is the one that supports your desired approach and is easy to use.
Word of Mouth Recommendations Matter
Whether you’re reading reviews, checking out case studies or talking to customers – what people have to say about their experience with the platform you choose matters. Don’t be afraid to do your research and check out rankings to see how your vendor of choice stacks up.
If you’re interested in learning more about ITSM tools and TeamDynamix check out: